About Me

I'm in my second year in NCCU and major in law. I'm from Taichung, and I love the weather in Taichung. I'm very happy to join this class. I think the way of learning English in this class is special. I hope I can learn a lot in class. :)

22 March, 2011

Enter a Different Kind of Art Class

In our first class, the teacher shared a very different view of art. She said when ancient art was first made, it was functional, not art. They were tools, bowls, a painting that was to send to a friend as a gift and precious items presented to emperors.
Teacher told us modern art is art for art sake. People started to classify art and divide art into categories and it developed until today.













<Shang dynasty ritual bronze vessels of food and wine>

Words teacher said really shocked me, because I never thought art was made not as art and its art because we thought it was! And I started thinking about why people would want to praise something as art, because merchants wanted to send it as merchandise, or because people found they were pretty and rare.

4 comments:

  1. To me, the definition and value(price) of art are controlled and speculated by some groups of people. I simply won't buy a shit for the sake of art myself, and sorry that I really lack the sense of art & culture :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point!

    For me, I find the modern art interesting because there are always meanings behind them. The objects of art are used as mediums for artists to express theirs deep thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote: Modern art is art for art sake. People started to classify art and divide art into categories. I think we should respect others thoughts. I may think this artwork is amazing, but the other may don’t like it. If we stop and stand on others shoes, conflict with others will reduce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, I think art is life. So everything can be art. But only those things can leave forever and considered for art by most people are called artist. So everyone can having his own views of art. Buy the way, I think you have choose a good course. I am wondering what is the course’s name and the course teacher.

    ReplyDelete